POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Seeing the Light : Seeing the Light Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Seeing the Light
From: Rick Measham
Date: 4 Aug 2004 03:35:01
Message: <web.4110918616c0096978d4ef100@news.povray.org>
The ceiling in my office is white. And when it's light outside it looks
white (radiosity aside). However when I turn the light on and I look
directly at the light, the ceiling looks dark. I'm guessing this is because
my eyes are dilating due to the large amount of light pouring in.

In POV-Ray, is it possible to automate this? When I look at a light_source I
see nothing of course. I'm wondering if I wrap a translucent sphere around
a light source I'll get a visible light. Turn up the brightness of the
light enough to compensate for the translucent globe and I'll have an
effective, visible light source (right?)

However a computer monitor is only capable of 100% white and so no matter
how far I turn up the light it'll still be white. Can I get an effect
similar to looking at the roof whereby everything else dims? I guess one
way to do it would be to use two hemisheres for the globe, one facing the
user with high transparency and one away with very low transparency. But is
there a default way to do it?